▶ Basic Dice Codes
- Keep the highest (or lowest): if you want to roll multiple times but have only the highest result(s) count, use
the modifier "H". If you want only the lowest result(s) counted, use "L".
Drop lowest / keep highest 5 of 6D10: 6D10H
Highest 4 of 6D10: 6D10H4
Lowest 4 of 6D10: 6D10L4
Middle 4 of 6D10: 6D10O
1o3d10 System (Rápido y Fácil): 3D10OThe default die of this roll type is d10, so 4H2 can be used as a shorthand for 4d10h2.
- Fudge Rolls: if you want dice to have values from -X to +X, use "U" instead of "D" in the dice code, followed by X.
- Hero System damage rolls: total result is counted as stun damage. On top of that, body damage is calculated
by counting ones as zero, 2-5 as 1, and sixes as 2 points of body damage. You can also use the "*" operator for the stun multiplier.
Example: 4B6 / with stun multiplier: 4B6*3
For "killing"-type damage, use the K operator like this: 4K6*3
- Wild Die (D6 System): The D6 System has a special rule for one of the dice in each roll, it becomes the "Wild Die".
The Wild Die is rolled again as long as it comes up with the max result, but if the first roll is a 1 the next roll as well as the
highest result of the other dice becomes a penalty. Two ones make a critical failure.
Example: 4W6 | without the wild die failure option: 4V6
- Stress Die (Ars Magica):
Roll the Ars Magica Stress Die (reroll ones and double the result, 10s count as zero on initial roll, it's complicated).
The number following the A is the number of botch dice (can be 0).
- Anima Open Die Roll:
Roll a die, if the result is higher than a certain threshold: roll again, add the result, increase the threshold by one, roll again. If the first roll is lower than the failure threshold, the result is a fumble with a certain failure level, for more information refer to: animarpgbeyondfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Game_Mechanics. By default, the die is a D100, the up-roll threshold is 90, the fumble threshold is 3, and the fumble level modifier is 15.
- Example: 1D100Y
- Different thresholds: 1D100Y85:5
- Different die and thresholds, no fumble level modifier: 1D10Y8:1:0
- With Natura 15+ (digit doubles cause open roll): explode=digits 1D100Y
▶ Success-Based Rolls
- Count the number of successes: to see how many dice rolled equal to or greater than some number, use "E".
Example: explode=digits 4D6E4The default die of this roll type is d6, so 4e4 can be used as a shorthand for 4d6e4.
- Successes with additive re-roll: to see how many dice rolled equal to or greater than some number,
use "R" if you want the individual die maximum to trigger a re-roll. This way, you can have target difficulties greater than the max number of the die.
The system also gives you the number of ones rolled (if there were any) so you can judge whether an action resulted in a fumble.
Example: explode=digits 4D6R8The default die of this roll type is d6, so 4r8 can be used as a shorthand for 4d6r8.
- Successes minus failures: to see how many dice rolled equal to or greater than some number, and subtract the amount of ones rolled, use "F".
Example: explode=digits 4D6F4The default die of this roll type is d6, so 4f4 can be used as a shorthand for 4d6f4.
- Successes "plus": to see how many dice rolled equal to or greater than some number, and roll every max result again and see if it's another success, use "M".
Example: explode=digits 4D10M4The default die of this roll type is d10, so 4m4 can be used as a shorthand for 4d10m4.
- Successes with everything: to see how many dice rolled equal to or greater than some number, and roll every max result again, and subtract the amount of ones rolled, use "S".
This is probably the one you want for most systems.
Example: explode=digits 4D10S4The default die of this roll type is d10, so 4s4 can be used as a shorthand for 4d10s4.
- Successes with multiple dice:
Some systems use the cumulative result of two or more dice to determine successes, here the sum of several dice
is compared to the difficulty rating. To emulate this, you can group dice like this:
Example: explode=digits 1D6:6S4 , meaning 2d6 will be rolled and 4(+) is a success.
Example: explode=digits 5D8:6S10 , here a d8 and a d6 will be rolled, a sum of 10(+) is a success, the entire check is rolled 5 times.
- Maximum possible die result counts as two successes: to see how many dice rolled equal to or greater than some number, use "X".
Example: explode=digits 4D6X4The default die of this roll type is d6, so 4x4 can be used as a shorthand for 4d6x4.
- Random names:
gen name [template], where [template] is the style of name you want to create. Supported templates are
archaic, boy, byname, default, dorf, elf, fantasy, girl, highgothic, lowgothic, primitive, rome, scifi, star, troll, wh. You can also chain several templates together by separating them with a space in between.
Example: gen name wh
- Random magical tomes: gen book
- Random tavern names: gen tavern
- Random insanity: gen insanity
- Random (medieval) NPC: gen npc
- D20/Pathfinder/Dungeons&Dragons Attributes:
gen d20to generate a set of D20 attributes. For each attribute, the formula 4D6H is used (drop the lowest d6). If one or more attributes should receive the highest-rolled values, just list them after the command. For example, this gives the highest priority to strength and constitution:
gen d20 Str Con
- Warhammer Characters:
gen whto generate a basic Warhammer Fantasy character. You may optionally give the race - if not, one will be randomly selected from elf, dwarf, halfling, or human. For example, this generates a basic dwarf:
gen wh dwarf
- Dark Heresy / Warhammer 40K Characters:
gen dhto generate a basic Dark Heresy character. There are many generation options for careers and advancement, refer to the generator's help page for more information: gen dh help.
For example, this generates a basic psyker with 5000 XP:
gen dh psyker +5000
▶ Power User Stuff
- To see how an individual result came to be, let the mouse pointer hover above the number to see more details. If your browser won't show the details, click on the result to expand it instead.
- Multiple rolls at once: to roll for multiple things (e.g. an attack and a damage roll), you can
chain together dice codes by semicolons.
Example: explode=digits 1D20;explode=digits 1D6+2
- A number of rolls: if you want to repeat the same roll for a number of times,
repeatcommand. If you also want the sum of the rolls, use
Examples: repeat 6 explode=digits 3D6 or: sum 6 explode=digits 3D6+3
- You can add comments to your roll by appending a pound sign # followed by some text to your code, like this: explode=digits 1D20+2 #attack roll
another way to define custom rules for a single roll command is using attributes. The following attributes are currently supported:
- reroll: ignore one or more results and roll again ( reroll=1,2 4d6 )
- reroll multiple: ignore one or more results and roll again, adding 3 dice ( reroll=1,2 rx=3 4d6 )
- reroll only X times: ignore one or more results and roll each again once ( reroll=1,2 rmax=1 4d6 )
- round: round up all results below this number ( round=3 d10 )
- explode: specify one or more results that cause the die to be rolled again and the result added up ( explode=5,6 4d6 ) - to cause the max result of the die to explode without having to specify what it is, use the explode=max shorthand.
- default die: specify another default die ( die=4 7H4 )
- count: count the occurrences of specific die results ( count=1,2 10d6 )
- conditionally multiply entire roll: specify that the outcome of this roll be multiplied by a factor if one or more dice results come up (e.g., null entire result if one d6 comes up 1: 10d6 1=*0 )
- conditional roll: specify that another roll be performed, and the result added, if a certain result comes up (e.g., roll additional d8+1 for any d6 that comes up 6: 10d6 6=d8+1 )
You can define macros to automate repetitive die rolls or often-used number constants (such as your attack bonus).
- Saving and loading user data: you can save your customizations (such as the macros you defined) for later. To save your current session, type "save MyCoolUserName" where MyCoolUserName is an arbitrary name for your session. You have to remember this name in order to retrieve the session later with the corresponding command "load MyCoolUserName".
▶ Site News & Features
- For more information on what's currently going on and new stuff that's on the horizon for Rolz, see the current Patreon update: patreon.com/udo/posts
- does not collect or store personal data
- will remove any user-posted content on request sent to: the sysop
- is provided free of charge for hobbyists by hobbyists
- 2018-01-09 Great news, I have finally tracked down the error that caused inline dice codes to be broken. You can now, once again, embed dice codes in chat lines like so: "I hit a [d20+6]"
- 2018-01-09 I think/hope that I have found and corrected the server issue, let's wait and see. If you see anything go wrong, shoot me an email!
- The chat server was down for days and nobody told me. Sorry about that. I should have monitored the comments section better.
- Time for a State of Rolz update: what's new? Where are we?
Also: Google Hangouts integration is finally here!
Click here for an update, and weigh in!
You opinion is important!
May '16: the State of Rolz
- Time for a State of Rolz update: what's new, what's going to change? Where are we?
Click here for an update, and weigh in!
You opinion is important!
June 2015: State of Rolz
- Every dice room now has its own Wiki, so you can keep your campaign and character notes handy.
- D20/Pathfinder-style criticals just got easier. In the dice rooms, you can use a text like "axe attack [d20 18-20=x2] damage [d12+10]" to specify an attack roll without any code prefixes.
- The Tavern (=Forum) is now ready and serving drinks to adventurers.
It is also integrated with the dice rooms, for maximum synergy.
> Go to the Tavern
- The Tavern (=Forum) is now ready for testing:
> Go to the Tavern
- Finished a major overhaul of the front page, hopefully this will be a nicer mobile experience now.
- I have updated the dice parser for the first time in a while. Spaces are no longer being parsed as plusses. I hope it doesn't break anything for anyone, but it's really saner this way. Support for Rápido y Fácil (1o3d10) has been added.
- The Tools tab in the dice rooms just went live. For now it contains shortcut buttons which you can customize. More tools to follow.
- I'm hoping the new
/summonchat command will help people who are having difficulties with the system, especially new visitors. So try it out!
- In addition to the usual dice rolling lines starting with # or -, you can now also embed die rolls directly into normal chat messages by enclosing them in square brackets. For example: 'my initiative is [d10+5]'
- If you leave the Dice Room tab open in the background, the title blinks when new messages get posted into the room (goes well together with /opt sound=on if you want). URLs now automatically get highlighted as links.
- Deleted one of the most hated features of the new Dice Rooms: auto-generated
Plus, fixed a bug that caused people to enter the lobby even though the had entered
their room's specific URL.
The new /motd command allows you to set a motto or subject for your room.
You can set a default chat text color for your user account by using the command
/opt color=red(where "red" can be any of the supported colors). Chat colors are now case-insensitive. When you join a room, the room's name is displayed correctly in the tab/window title, and if your browser supports it, the URL in the address bar changes as well. The
#gen npcgenerator has been overhauled.
- If you prefix a chat line with 3 or more minus characters (like "----"),
a horizontal separator will be inserted into the chat log. Also: when you
get a PM or your nickname is mentioned in chat, that line gets highlighted.
Macros and settings you made while logged in with a registered nickname
are now preserved and restored whenever you log back in.
I'm working on an experimental notification sound feature, which you can turn on
by issuing this command: "
- Chat lines using the /me command now show up in the logs, and you can make your text colorful by prefixing it with one of these colors followed by a colon: red, green, blue, gray, maroon, olive, orange, purple, teal, pink Under "generators" we have a basic NPC gen, and several of the name generators have been improved slightly.
- Registered NicknamesYou can now register your nickname using the /register NICK PASSWORD command. The old restriction that wouldn't let you use a nickname that's already present in the dice rooms has been lifted. You can now use any nickname you want, but if you're using a registered one you'll have to authenticate with your password.
- Session Reconnect StabilityI think I found a way for session data (such as the room you're in and your nickname) to persist across re-connects even when your cookie data expired. In theory you should be able to leave the window open for days, let's see how it works out in practice.
- Chat Timestamps and ArchivesThe dice rooms now feature timestamps. Let the mouse hover over the die icon to the left of an entry and it'll display the time in a mouseover hint. Furthermore, the chat logs now contain timestamps as well, including periodical time-info lines. Also, as of now you can access older chats by using the new pagination elements at the top (and bottom if applicable) of the log. It's now possible to pop out the log window by clicking on the three-line symbol ☰ in the top left corner of the screen, next to the room name.
- New FeaturesMacros should now be working in the new dice rooms! You can now use Unicode characters in Dice Room nicknames. There are two new chat commands: /self for sending a dice roll result only to yourself, and /msg to send a private message to someone else in the room. We now have a generator for magical book names: 'gen book'.
- Fixed Major Room Log BugA bug in the code responsible for saving die roll results to the respective rooms has been resolved. If you had trouble recalling the correct log for your room or if you got errors embedding die results, that was most likely the reason for it. Thanks to Flyer for pointing me in the right direction!
- Changes to the H and L codesI cleaned up the dice code syntax somewhat, please watch out for that if you're used to the old H and L modifiers, they have changed. Also, the Z die type no longer exists. The new syntax should cover more use cases and allow for better flexibility. Also, in 'Power User Stuff' there are more reroll mechanics, and I've been working on new Generators, including both a Warhammer Fantasy and a D20 / Dungeons & Dragons character stats generator.