ROLZ

Leave Feedback

Name  Email (optional)
Captcha
^ what's the highest result you can get when rolling four d20?

Comments

Thu 02:37
ThePlatinumPaladin

As the creator/owner of a Dice room, I wish I had more admin functionality. Specifically, I want exclusive controls over things like ignore, kick/ban, and other tools to keep the rest of my players in line. Sometimes, they really act like children.

Basically, with the Room that I was playing in, everybody had full access to all the powers, from generating NPCs to muting people. Somehow, *I* the GM got muted! | reply

Thu 02:52
Udo

That's not what Rolz is designed for. There is no kick/ban, there is no mute either (don't know how you got that impression, maybe they were trolling you or you had connectivity problems). You can just password-protect the room and give the password only to the people you like.

Fundamentally, Rolz is not designed for adversarial groups, it's designed for groups of friends roleplaying together. You can prevent outsiders from joining by simply choosing an obscure room name, and you can choose a password. That should be more than enough for this scenario.

If you're using Rolz for some other purpose, you're on your own. I'm not going to try and be all things to all people. | reply

Thu 03:03
ThePlatinumPaladin

That's the thing...They are all friends, who just get too tangled up with each other. It's a mix of confusion and frustration among them, so if I as GM can not do anything to quell such disruptions and infighting, I am concerned. | reply

Thu 03:10
Udo

It's easy to create a new account and rejoin though, a ban or kick command wouldn't be effective at all.

I've been thinking about a feature where you as the room owner could specify a list of people who are allowed to be there. That might help in your case, but more fundamentally I think this is a social problem. You as the GM are in the unique position to make them understand you're not going to GM for them if they keep disrupting everything (the same would hold true for a physical session).

I'm going to build this whitelist feature though, maybe it could help in cases like this. | reply

Thu 03:16
ThePlatinumPaladin

A whitelist would be kinda nice, but I was thinking of reserving most of the commands for the room owner, or whoever registered the room. That would help a lot, I think. Again, if things get too out-of-hand, then I just leave and then nobody gets to play.

No question, this is a social problem. But if all 4 or so players keep monkeying around with the NPC generator, for example, that can get seriously irksome when trying to conduct my game. If there were a way to toggle something so that only the room "owner" could use such functions like the NPC generator, that would go a long way in helping me. | reply

Thu 03:18
Udo

I'll think about that, but I'm also not going to break things for other groups who might rely on these commands being available. In any case though, it sounds like your players will probably find a way to disrupt your session by any means.. | reply

Thu 04:29
Udo

ThePlatinumPaladin, there is now a whitelist option to the /room command, and you can /kick people if you're the room's creator. | reply

Thu 18:20
thePlatinumPaladin

Oh Awesome! I'll toy around with this, once I learn the specifics for how /room works. For now, thank you for your hard work and addressing my very specific concerns! :D | reply

Thu 22:12
ThePlatinumPaladin

So I tried /room whitelist= and I tried /room whitelist=- and now, nobody can enter the room. At all. Not even the people I want. Similarly with /room names=off for turning off the names=on flag, I'm not sure how much of that is working right now. All I know is, people (at the time of this writing) are trying to get in, I want them in, but they can't get in. | reply

Thu 22:14
Udo

I'm in the lobby, send me the room name via private message | reply

Jan 18th 21:00
Renan

How i can delete my account | reply

Thu 00:30
Udo

Set the password to something you won't remember to lock yourself out. | reply

Jan 17th 21:29
Vi

So I seem to have an issue with Chrome/Canary that doesn't allow me to connect to rooms at all.

an endless loop of "connecting" is instead displayed. it works just fine on IE and Edge, but Chrome and Canary seem to have this issue for me. | reply

Jan 17th 23:18
Udo

Vi, regular Chrome works fine for me. If things are broken on Chrome Canary, that's most likely Canary's fault. I've seen canaries where networking didn't work at all.

Did you run the websocket test suite? | reply

Jan 07th 13:59
Luke

Any chance you'd add the Star Wars RPG dice? | reply

Jan 15th 18:15
Udo

Luke, it's been discussed before, and my stance remains at the moment: I feel the SW dice are copyrighted and it wouldn't be appropriate (or even legal) of me to include them here. It also seems to me that the special SW symbols are intended as a kind of copy protection scheme, I really don't want to mess with that.

Theoretically, I might be able to get away with just calling the symbols by generic names, but I'm not sure if that would help. | reply

Jan 02nd 13:32
Bloodfluke

Hi, how do I add a password to my room so that only people who know the password can enter it?

I can see an option for this when entering a room with my username, but I don't know how to change my room's settings so that a password is required. | reply

Jan 07th 00:39
Ref

Hey Bloodfluck, not speaking on behalf of Udo, but I think if you simply enter a room's name that hasn't already been used and put a password, then it'll be set up so that whenever entering this room, people will need the password you set up.

Cheers. | reply

Dec 26th 16:01
Ref

It seems the online rooms are down, what's going on? | reply

Dec 26th 16:22

Sorry, it's the holidays, I hadn't even noticed. :( | reply

Jan 07th 00:36
Ref

Hey no prob man, I found an alternative solution in the mean time, I'm glad it wasn't permanent though, my games are heavily dependent on the well-sake of your website :).

Question : do you have plans about integrating some ways to fiddle with cards? Like, regular playing cards. | reply

Jan 15th 18:11
Udo

Ref, it's one of the many ideas I have on my list, I'll just need some time to actually implement them ;) | reply

Dec 26th 14:46
Pho

Rooms currently online: 0 / active: 0
Users currently online: 0 / active: 0
Server status: Down

So sad. | reply

Dec 26th 16:22

Sorry, it's the holidays, I hadn't even noticed. :( | reply

Dec 26th 14:40
E

I have some issues with entring the room. It writes the "сonnecting..." messages only without any actual notes like rolls and text messages. | reply

Dec 26th 16:23

Sorry, it's the holidays, I hadn't even noticed. :( | reply

Dec 22nd 02:49
Lizzy

So I want to change my room so that you don't need an account to log into it, but it says I'm not the owner of the room. Not sure how to fix it as I didn't have an account when I set up the room.
The room's name is Lizard'sRoom | reply

Dec 17th 04:11
Kami

I forgot my password for my account. The name is Kami can you delete it? | reply

Dec 12th 11:11
Jonny667788

Hi Rolz

I believe what you built here is special. A place for Dnd players to come and enjoy each others company. The private room function is great and the dice rolling skill are fantastic.

A few things I have noticed which will make the site a lot better.

1) Is there a way to privately chat with a player via the site if they are in the game room with us - Player to player, GM to player or player to GM.

2) Joining a room can be really difficult. Perhaps there needs to be inbox type system where an admin can invite a player to a room and the player can join via clicking a link in a message?

3) Linking with other players to start a game is difficult. Along with a general lobby, perhaps considering instead of having a forum for game searches, have an extra lobby with for players looking to join a game.

4) Private messaging in a lobby. I am not sure if your able to use this function yet, however the ability to private message others is a must.

I know your probably wondering who this guy is. Choose to take on my advice, or don't, I just know the potential this site has. When you look at OCTGN (card game platform) and Virtual playtable (another card game platform) these are quite user friendly. I know this can be great so please keep going in developing the site. | reply

Nov 29th 17:00
Ivellios

So, the forum image isn't working for me, example: https://rolz.org/info?X17598164 | reply

Nov 07th 02:39
Onipuck

So, for the past couple of weeks, my group has been using your dice room to play a pseudo d20-lite system, the games tend to start around 7, or 8 on Saturdays and Sundays, and every time your website constantly goes down, is that your day for maintenance, or do the rooms crap out at any group larger than four? | reply

Nov 06th 02:37
Helgraf

Everything broke | reply

Oct 21st 18:05
The Unknown

Thanks a lot for this site! It's very useful.
---------------
But a lot more shortcuts will be much better. Say separate tab with 20 (or even more) lines like 4 lines in "Recent Chat Lines" (or even 2 columns of twice shorter lines) will be very nice.
---------------
Easy way to copy line in clipboard will be also nice. Say button near link on embed image.
---------------
Also 2 additional commands can be useful:
repeatN (or rN) - repeat previous roll N times (only roll, not conditions)
skipN (or sN) - skip next N groups of text [roll]

example:
axe attack [d20+10 1-17=skip3] crit check [repeat] damage [d12+10] or crit [r3; skip] damage [d12+10]
"repeat" here mean "d20+10"; "r3" will be "repeat 3 d12+10"

on 1-17 text in chat will be like:
axe attack [d20+10 1-17=skip3 = 22] damage [d12+10 = 13]
on 18-20:
axe attack [d20+10 1-17=skip3 = 29] crit check [repeat = 21] damage [d12+10 = 11] or crit [r3; skip = 38]
---------------
And last one option to hide text of command will be also good for long conditions:
"hide" (or h) - hide all text of command after it

example:
axe attack [d20 h 1-10=cancel 18-20=x2] damage [h d12+10]

will looks like:
axe attack [d20 = 2] damage [= 0]
axe attack [d20 = 11] damage [= 17]
axe attack [d20 = 19] damage [= 32] | reply

Oct 17th 19:28
Akrael

I enjoyed your free service. I will probably use it more often and leave a donation. Great Website!
Thanks a bunch! | reply

Sep 30th 19:41
HAWKE

You should add a way to delete old dice rooms. | reply

Sep 29th 20:46
Kris

I wonder if it's possible to add variables into the dice rolling?

For instance, with Call of Cthulhu you would have a skill value which you must roll below to succeed and roll 20% or less of in order to impale (or crit).

i.e. something like [d100 skill=78 (skill/5)=x2 (>skill)=cancel] damage [d10+2] | reply

Sep 01st 09:52
Dante Alighieri

I have the same question as spreader. Is it possible to remove chat room log?
I created dice room which room name is very important to me. I tested dice rolls and now a chat is quite messy. I was wondering is it any chance to remove old logs? Because the name of the room must be the same as is now.

Dante | reply

Aug 20th 15:55
Cayne

Hi,

Is it possible to remove dice rooms from my list? | reply

Aug 18th 04:31
Technique

I have a feature request that seems like it would be fairly simple to implement. I don't know if you are familiar with MUCK/MUX/MUSH gaming (online, text-based roleplaying servers that have been around since the Early Pliestocene era of the Internet), but on such games, there is an [email protected] <text>' command which emits <text> visible to everyone in the room, but without prepending the player's name. It is very useful for such things as GM scene-set poses and NPC poses, as well as player poses that don't start with either their character's name or 'CharacterName says,'...

For obvious reasons, on this site it would be undesirable for similar poses to be actually anonymous, but perhaps there could be a command which would emit text to the room with either the person emitting's name in brackets at the end, or, better yet, with an unobtrusive mark at the end that would reveal the emitter's name when one's mouse is hovered over it? | reply

Aug 14th 21:45
spreader

How does one delete a chat room one has created?
Is it possible to clear the chat archive from a room? | reply

Aug 14th 21:52
Udo

Why? Couldn't you just not tell anyone the room exists? | reply

Jul 31st 14:16
LuluZealander

Hello!

I'm fairly new to this website, and trying to set up a room in order to host a little online RPG event this next weekend for some people. For that it's very important that each player can roll privately, and only have to disclose it when asked for it.

I tried using the /self code in order to roll privately, but it seems despite using #1d6 ;1d6, or just 1d6 all the outcomes were 0. Maybe someone can explain to me how this is supposed to work? | reply

Aug 04th 17:31
LuluZealander

Can anyone give me response to this? :) | reply

Aug 04th 17:38
Udo

LuluZealander, sorry for the wait. It looks to me like you might be entering "/self #d6" instead of "/self d6" - could that be? | reply

Jul 30th 03:02
Aoi

Hi,
Great website and service as well, really useful, making all my games so fun. =)

So here's my question, is there a way to count rolls that are equal or lower than a value,
as with the basic success based-roll "E" (i.e 1d100E50 which count how many roll will be equal or greater than 50)
but in the other way, that would count how many are actually equal or lower than the chosen value ?

Thanks for everything. =) | reply

Jul 28th 23:03
ebany02

Hi,

I create a room recently, and I'm no longer listed as the owner/creator of the room. Is there any way to take this back or to set me as the owner? | reply

Jul 28th 23:05
ebany02

Just seen further down you ask people to email you about this, I'll do that now! :) | reply

Jul 22nd 17:41
Glowyeyes

I pressed the "recent chat lines" button that read "/nick <username> <password>" in attempt to log in to my username. Instead it posed my username and password in the forum :/ | reply

Jul 17th 14:45
Jonathan

The send function on the mobile version doesn't seem to be working. I have tried to refresh it multiple times. Any suggestions? | reply

Jul 13th 06:05
Kaneki ken

Be soooo helpful to have it work on mobile | reply

Jul 13th 05:30
Kiyoma

i cant set admin functions in one of my dice rooms. It says i'm not the admin | reply

Jul 12th 06:31
Usernames

Is there anyway to go to certain days on the log? I rather not go clicking on "load more items" for the next hour or so. | reply

Jul 09th 02:44
Pedro

Hi folks

Is it easy to build an app for android ?

Best regards | reply

Jul 27th 15:40
Glowyeyes

Yes, if we take it to a developer they'll likely charge about 20k USD and then we'll have a decent ROLZ app. | reply

Jun 21st 18:23
guy_incognito

Does anyone know if you can delete dice rooms once created? My room list is full of rooms I created by accident when mistyping room names. | reply

Jul 04th 08:16
Udo

No, you'll have to live with this grave mistake until just the real rooms are left :D | reply

Jun 20th 20:42
DogMaidMarcy

Could someone please delete my account? I can't figure out any way to do it myself. | reply

Jul 04th 08:15
Udo

Just log in and set your password to something random... | reply

Jun 20th 00:34
Laine

Probably not so much a bug as a feature that has been taken too far, a username I have been using for a long time (Michelle, the name of my character for the campaign we are playing) is now passworded.
Perhaps instead of passwording a name across all servers, have the passwords be room specific. | reply

Jul 04th 08:15
Udo

I disagree that it's a feature taken too far. Rolz always had password-less accounts, and I'm trying to keep it that way. It's essentially like an IRC server. If you really care about a nick, you should register it ;) | reply

Jun 17th 02:40
Pedro

Hi folks

Could you develop an app for Android?

Thanks
Pedro Sobrinho | reply

Jul 04th 08:12
Udo

I answered this a lot recently, I should probably add this to the help section ;)

An Android and iOS app existed at some point, but there was little interest in it, so I stopped updating the Android and iOS apps. | reply

Jun 13th 17:59
Hypnobeard

Is there a way currently to do Hackmaster 5e penetrating rolls? (That's an exploding die, but you subtract 1 from the exploded rolls, and d20 explodes to a d6 while d100 explodes to d20.)

Examples:

* Rolling d6, initial roll is 6, second roll is also 6, third roll is 3, final total is 6 + 5 [6-1] + 2 [3-1] = 13
* Rolling d20: initial roll is 20, second roll is 6, third roll is 6, fourth roll is 2, final total is 20 + 5 + 5 + 1 = 31. | reply

Jul 04th 08:11

As I said in the Tavern thread, I'll make a code for that. | reply

Jun 06th 08:54
olocampo

Is there a feature for "secret" rolls for the game master?
Would be useful feature so the game master can use a single tool | reply

Jun 07th 08:25
Udo

Yes, have a look at Chat Commands in the help tab: the /self command is what you're looking for. | reply

Jun 04th 17:07
Cevet

You have no option for password recovery and now I can't get back into my account/nickname.... | reply

Jun 07th 08:24
Udo

True, one of the drawbacks of having a minimal user account system. I might add an email field or something in the future to make this possible. If you're really attached to that nick, send me an email, I can reset it manually. | reply

May 27th 16:23
Kelly

Been gone for a while but just wanted to say I love this place, thanks for all the work you do. | reply

Jul 04th 08:11

Thanks, that's good to hear :) | reply

May 22nd 11:49
Divine

Hello!

I am currently having an issue reaching my room. It was working fine yesterday morning (May 21st), but today it will not let me enter the room, view the logs, etc. May I have some help, please? | reply

May 22nd 12:07
Udo

Well there was an update so maybe I broke something. But your description is very vague, could you be more specific? | reply

May 22nd 12:10
Udo

What sort of issue is it? Do you see any error messages? What do I need to do to reproduce the bug? | reply

May 22nd 14:41
Divine

On the front page, I enter my username and password, and I enter the name of the room I have been using. The room name uses both uppercase and lowercase letters, and it has a : in it, as well. There is an option for entering a 'room password', which is new, but I ignore that because I have never used a room password before.

I then 'join'.

Instead of bringing me to the room I typed in to join, the first time it created a room using the first two letters of the room name I entered, and now it persistently brings me to the created room, even when I try to /join the originally-intended room from the new room, or retype the room name from the front page.

The room name I have been trying to reach has never had issues before, even with the mixed-case name and the : . I have attempted joining the original room in both Chrome and Firefox, and I have typed in the room name by hand instead of via Autofill or similar 'shortcuts'.

I hope this helps with recreating or pinpointing the issue! If there is more specific information you need, let me know? | reply

May 22nd 14:54

Oh, I see, yeah it's the : in the room name... I'll take care of it | reply

May 22nd 15:53
Divine

Thank you! | reply

May 05th 08:19
kocmoc

Hey! Build an Android App.
I know at least 100 people starwing for app to roll from shortcuts in rooms!!! | reply

May 21st 10:59
Udo

At some point, there was both an Android and an iOS app - I can assure you, there is no market for such a thing. I eventually stopped maintaining it. | reply

May 24th 09:48
kocmoc

Hi! Thanks 4 reply.
Is there an old version of an app to look at it?
Will it connect to site? | reply

Apr 23rd 18:35
SilentWrangler

I've created a room as Alric, and signed up after this. Now the room has no owner at all so no one can setup room options. Is it possible to assign a new owner for the room? | reply

May 21st 10:53
Udo

Yeah, that's a known bug. Shoot me an email with your account name and the room name, I'll put you in as the owner manually. | reply

Apr 19th 08:47
Velorien

I've found a workaround for the bug where you create a room but aren't considered its creator.

For me, the bug happens whenever I create a room via the front page. But when I create a room with the /join command from another room, I am properly considered the creator of the new one. | reply

May 21st 10:58
Udo

That's useful info for nailing down that bug, thank you! | reply

Apr 15th 07:22
Greendoor

Desperately need to go back to the Old Chat Room's style of room log, or at least something similar. The current system makes trawling the logs for important details incredibly inconvenient. | reply

May 21st 10:54
Udo

Tell me what's inconvenient about it and I'll change it! | reply

Apr 06th 22:41
Eri

Need a /kick feature and the password feature needs to actually work | reply

May 21st 10:56
Udo

There is no password rooms, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. A /kick thing would be possible but pointless with the way rooms work currently. | reply

Jun 27th 05:30
Psykotik_Dragon

I used the password=PWD commmand for the Dice Room I created but there was already some random person who had joined in before I set the password...how do I kick them out? | reply

Apr 05th 20:12
morgajel

a simple API for hipchat integration would be awesome:

It should be fairly easy to implement since it's just json in, json out. | reply

May 21st 10:57
Udo

You could use the Rolz API and write the necessary glue code yourself, but: yeah I can see how HipChat integration would be a useful feature. Not sure when I'll get around to it though. | reply

Apr 04th 23:23
Blixwaffe

Hello, Seem to be having Trouble Sending Links when trying to get People to Join in a Session... Is there a Code to Invite that I'm not aware of? Or has this been The Norm? | reply

May 21st 10:57
Udo

No, there are no codes. What exactly is the problem? | reply

Apr 02nd 03:43
Morgan

Hello,

Our D&D group runs with Rolz for keeping people honest with dice rolls. It's a great resource! We love it! What was odd is the recent (recent to us) change in the input for rolling dice, where now a hashtag is required for the site to recognize the command as a die roll. We inevitably wind up forgetting to use it every session. Is there a reason the # was required for the system to recognize inputs as die commands?

Cheers and thank you,
Morgan | reply

Apr 08th 21:35
Me

Yes, i realize it too. but if I'm not mistaken, but if I'm not mistaken, there was a way to use formula without "#" I do not remember if it was in HTML5 mode or JavaScript. | reply

Apr 01st 05:43
Khaine

Is there any way to reset a password? I accidentally posted mine in a room. | reply

May 21st 10:58
Udo

Yes, just use the register command again to give yourself a new password. | reply

Mar 30th 15:36
Currently known as Potator

Is there a way to recover or reset passwords? I have forgotten a password for an account/nick that i recently made. | reply

Mar 26th 21:04
Me

Was u logged?
Else, its may be bug. | reply

Mar 19th 16:56
TheDeafDuck

I have created a room and I want to set room options but the system tells me that only the creator can set room options. I created the room, so I'm a little confused. | reply

Mar 15th 00:13
Eu

There is some built app to mobile of Rolz.org?
I just saw APP code https://rolz.org/help/api to implement, but, eg, and Android app, there is? | reply

Mar 10th 12:36
Scelus

Hi!

This isn't really feedback. I do think you've done a great job with the website and I would like to know how you created the chat rooms, how several users are connected and son forth. I've never done that before and I can imagine how it works but I was wondering if you had any tips and tricks that you might want to share. If so hit me up on the email provided.

Thanks in advance! | reply

Mar 05th 23:28
Chris

Hi, I noticed what there is no password reset function on you page. I want use the name "Laurin" but I fear I made a typo by my password during the registration. Now I can not login with this name, because the passwort what I type in is everytime wrong. Can you reset my password please?

Best regards,
Chris | reply

Mar 01st 01:10
Jolief

Is there a way i can set myself up as a DM so that my rolls are hidden from the others? | reply

Feb 29th 07:51
AndrielChaoti

You know what would be awesome: I would absolutely love to embed Rolz into my own website, in a manner of speaking, allowing my users to use a similar [roll x] format that would call Rolz and get the results, like the bookmarklet currently does. | reply

Feb 23rd 14:47
JeanDanjou

Thanks to my piece of shit of a cell my password was broadcast. How can I reset it? | reply

Feb 21st 22:29
Kim

The current functionality of success pool code S (as in [20d10s6]) isn't like the other success pool rolls. Instead of treating exploded dice separately and adding them to the pool as successes (or not) it sums up the results of the exploded dice. This functionality is counter-intuitive when compared to similar functionality. I think it's supposed to be a combination of F and M codes, but currently does not work like that.

If it did, it would be nice for those of us playing classic World of Darkness. | reply

Feb 15th 01:17
Valdus

I just want to say I am trying to “lure” people into playing a bit of a dungeon crawl. Thus far it has not been easy at all. One observances, and some may call it a criticism is, I see so many people log on then have no idea what they are doing. They log on and thinking that they are interrupting a game session or some other ritual. I am trying to think of a better, more introductory friendly way of presenting Rolz, because I would very much like to run a lite rpg game/campaign on here.

Ideas, suggestions? | reply

Feb 15th 01:21
Udo

Valdus, I'm a bit confused. It sounds like you were trying to get random people in the lobby to play..? Yeah, that's probably not going to work. If so, you might be misunderstanding the purpose of this place. It's designed as a playground for a group you already have. If you're looking to assemble a group of players, try posting in the forum. | reply

Feb 15th 02:26
Valdus

I have consider me the impatient gamer? I created a dice room and forum in the tavern called OFDC and was hoping people would drop in. The way I see it, Rolz could be used as a combination of play by post and chat room, where different players log in and different times to post. Its an idea and a possibility, let us see what happens.

Feel free to delete the stuff I have posted if you think its not going to work, just trying to drum up some activity.

V | reply

Feb 10th 03:38
Raybomber

Anyway I can reset my password, I have forgotten it? Thank you | reply

Feb 06th 16:09
Raisin

Hi, I plan on setting up an L5R game over Rolz, and I remember there was a function to roll X number of dices and keep Y out of those, for the Roll & Keep system. Is this command still functional, and if yes, what is it? I couldn't find it in the help sections. | reply

Feb 06th 16:11
Raisin

And I just looked down and saw the question asked recently, sorry! No need for a reply. | reply

Feb 01st 03:34
Jeffrey Donohue

I would like to get behind your project and support you on patreon, but I have a few issues with how ROLZ works. First I want to bring up the issue of logging in. You change from forum page to cice room, and then back, you have to log in, again. There has to be a way to avod that. It is very annoying.

And the formatting is hell. In today's age of web and blog pages, a built-in text editor is pretty common, yet not here. I admit to not knowing how complex it would be to incorporate this here on your site, but it's being done by others, and the ease it provides is well worth it to your user base.

Lack of intuitiveness. For example, there is no indication that I needed to be registered in order to post in the forum. I still can find nothing stating that this is a requirement. It would have saved me several hours of frustration.

The process of rolling in the forum was also confusing, but I figured that one out faster than most other issues, still it is far from intuitive.

The concept of your site, combining the ousting power of a blog and a dive roller readily adaptable to different dice rolling requirements is laudable and appreciated in general, but in its present state, it is much more in the realm of work, rather than fun.

And I hope you can see my comments as constructive criticism, rather than destructive.

Thank you for your time. | reply

Feb 01st 03:50
Jeffrey Donohue

I apologize for the typos. My eyesight isn't what it used to be. and I can't edit my comments to clean it up. Be nice if I could (same thing for the dice room text). I'm an older handicapped adult, but the issues I've raised are shared by others in my groups who use this site, and they are not handicapped, or at my age. | reply

Feb 01st 09:35
Udo

I agree with some of your criticisms, not others. Especially the intuitiveness items are debatable. What irked me though was that you brought Patreon into to it. What you're saying essentially amounts to "we're using your site, but it literally has no value to us, so I refuse to donate unless you get your act together". Doesn't mean you're wrong per se - the Patreon campaign is pretty much a failure considering how many people use Rolz daily but refuse to support it. However, when and if I'm going to take up some of your points, it's not going to be because I expect you to change your mind about supporting the site. I decide on features because they seem right to me intrinsically, and considering my track record so far they'll probably not line up with your tastes. That's fine, people have different preferences. Most things on here are not primarily shaped by my incompetence, they're shaped by my own preferences. If they clash with yours in an extreme way, try out roll20.net or better yet: start your own site. | reply

Feb 01st 09:36
Udo

I would also like to address the loggin-in issue you brought up: that sounds like a bug. I just need to log in once, and so should you. What's more, you can browse the forum right there on the chat page, you shouldn't need to switch around at all. | reply

Feb 01st 09:57
Udo

> Be nice if I could (same thing for the dice room text)

As with many things on here, that's not an oversight. Chat lines are immutable because people are relying on the fact that the chat is an exact record of what happened. If I changed that, it would make the site immediately unusable for a lot of people.

> I'm an older handicapped adult, but the issues I've raised are shared by others in my groups

I don't think it has anything to do with handicaps or age, it's more a matter of taste and what you're used to.

> For example, there is no indication that I needed to be registered in order to post in the forum.

I agree, there should be some text explaining that on the forum page. But to be fair, on the Dice Room login page there is this text, and it's only shown to users who are not logged in:

"Do I need to register?
You don't need to register an account in order to use the dice rooms. However, for advanced features like the forum, you do need to make an account with a password:
[Register a New Account]" | reply

Feb 05th 05:19
Jeffrey Donohue

As far as Patreon goes, you have a point. I meant to include the point that I live on a very small fixed income with very few discretionary dollars available. So any dollar or two (and honestly, that's all I could possibly afford to contribute. May not seem a lot, but it is to me.) I contribute will be something really special. I didn't mean to sound crass, or flippant, and I may have.

Also a point is the debatable nature of my listed items. It is after all just my opinion. Opinions are very subjective, and by there very nature open to alternative views.

And as I am getting used to your site, my issues, while not going away, are becoming more of an "Oh well" thing. And once again, I do appreciate your combining the chat and flexible dice rolling features into one site.

So yes, I DO see value here.

Again, thank you for your time. | reply

Feb 05th 05:22
Jeffrey Donohue

I admit, I never saw this disclaimer regarding a needed account. Nor when asked did any others in my group. If I/we had, that issue would not have been raised | reply

Jan 29th 02:22
Sanjuro

Hey Udo! So glad to see this site growing strong after all this time! Im having a blast playing L5R on here and so happy to see codes that fit the weird dice system they use. I just wanted to ask; is there any way to add a code for rerolling 1's? We can't seem to find it anywhere. Right now the most complex command we can figure is (example: a 5k4 roll): #explode=10, 5d10H4

Anyway we can reroll ones in the same dice command above?

Thanks Udo, stay groovy! | reply

Jan 29th 02:41
Sanjuro

Aha! Nevermind, we've done it with: #explode=10, reroll=1, rmax=1, 5d10H4

Thanks for the awesome roller site! | reply

Feb 01st 09:43
Udo

Thanks, and let me know when you need anything :) | reply

Jan 27th 19:45
Adam

Can't enter a room. connecting.. | reply

Jan 27th 19:47

works for me. | reply

23. Jan 2016 05:44
Callinicus

Hello,

I must have miss-spelled my password when initially picking it.
I have been able to subsequently log in by sitting and hammering out like, a thousand slight variations of the same password; although much to my dismay I forgot to write it down.

Would it be possible to have my password sent to my email? As proof, I could always email the approximate password back; and I'm also going to edit my account to put my email in the description.

Thanks. | reply

Feb 01st 09:44
Udo

Callinicus, I'm sorry Rolz stores passwords only in encrypted form, even I can't access them. What I could do though is delete your account and you could then just make a new one with the same name. | reply

Feb 09th 21:32
Callinicus

That would be alright, and thank you.

Sorry for being late getting back to you as well. | reply

Oct 18th 18:54
Herra

Hi can you please delete my account i forgot the password the name is Herra | reply

Dec 16th 02:29
titanofearth

Hey could you delete my account I must have hit a wrong key when typing in the password because the one I thought I wrote isn't working. The account name is titanofearth. | reply

Dec 16th 05:01
titanofearth

Actually don't need that account delete anymore, managed to figure out what the misspelling was. | reply

18. Jan 2016 04:31
MilesPrower

Hi Udo!

Do you think you could bump up the session timeout to be a month, or have a javascript heartbeat to refresh the session? We all get logged out all the time and some people have lost their posts because of it. | reply

18. Jan 2016 04:33
MilesPrower

http://blog.codinghorror.com/your-session-has-timed-out/ | reply

18. Jan 2016 04:47
Udo

MilesPrower, thanks for posting that "helpful" link, accusing me of sloppiness and ignorance. ;) But in all seriousness, Rolz sessions do last a long time, there is a session cookie that lasts for a month. However, that is only for users who are actually signed in. It's not feasible to keep session data of anonymous users around for a long time. So if you want your session to last longer, register your nick with a password. | reply

19. Jan 2016 03:53
MilesPrower

Sorry! That's not what I meant at all, the link has useful technical information. All of our users are registered with passwords and we all get logged out several times a day. Could it be because we use multiple browsers? | reply

19. Jan 2016 08:14
Udo

I was just messing with ya ;) If you are all using real accounts and still get logged out, that's a bug. I'm going to look into it. Do you normally log on inside the chat itself or from the login form on the front page? | reply

19. Jan 2016 19:23
MilesPrower

The front page - I wasn't aware you could log in in the chat screen! | reply

19. Jan 2016 19:28
Udo

Hm... strange, it works for me... I could monitor your room for a few days to find out more, would that be okay? | reply

20. Jan 2016 04:39
MilesPrower

I'm sure that would be fine. Yup, I'm an Alric again now and I have definitely not logged off. I have two tabs open and I'm two different Alric's at the moment. | reply

20. Jan 2016 09:03
Udo

What's your room name? | reply

21. Jan 2016 12:23
Udo

You'll have to give me your room name, you can send it to [email protected] | reply

15. Jan 2016 13:01
A

Can the name generator have a way to generate names with specific first letters? | reply

18. Jan 2016 04:48
Udo

No, not right now. You could just substitute letters in your head, right? | reply

11. Jan 2016 15:08
Hatar

Hi is there a possibility to make dice chains like if i have f.e. 20d6e4 to use the number of succeeded rolls for another xd6e5 roll for example? | reply

18. Jan 2016 04:49
Udo

Hatar, yes, there is. Read the help section about "Multiple Rolls & Other Commands" | reply

Jan 25th 14:37
Hatar

Thank you for your answer! I already checked the Multiple roll in help but i don't really get the dice code I'd have to use.
Let me come with a more specific sample: (I'd like to simulate a complete shooting attack for example from w40k)
So first my army shoots 20 shots and rolls for hit succeed on a 3 with enemy preffered (reroll 1) the code for this would be [reroll=1 rmax=1 20d6e3]

Let's say the result is 16 (means 16hits)
so the next roll would be for wounds suceed on a 4 also rerolled 1s (for this time)
so i have another [reroll=1 rmax=1 16d6e4]

Now the result is maybe 11 so my next roll for saves would be for example [11-11d6e5 ] with a result of 7 f.e. means 7 models die..

Is there a possibility to make one long code starting with 20d6e4 and get the result 7?

Or if not.. is there a possiblility to start rolz.org with a link where the dice code is alrady included and get the result somehow so i could generate the multi roll with an external script?

Hope i could express my question clear
Thank you in advance! | reply

09. Jan 2016 03:08
ZaneKata

Hi, I have an old session and I was trying to add someone in but it didn't seem to work. Either that or there is some major lag issues. I reloaded the page, exited, went back and forth, but all in vein. I ask that you look into is. If it makes any difference, I am in KY and he's in IL. I hope you can look into it. Thank you! | reply

18. Jan 2016 04:50
Udo

ZaneKata, nobody else seems to be having problems. It sounds like either their browser is very very old or their ISP was having trouble at the time. | reply

06. Jan 2016 08:58
Ψυχή

I'm assuming that my greek name is why I can't access my profile page. Hasn't been a big deal thus far, though.

As a newcomer to the site, it's been fun. Will definitely consider using in the future.

—Ψυχή | reply

18. Jan 2016 04:51
Udo

Ψυχή, yup, that's probably not going to work. I'll see what I can do with the next update... | reply

31. Dec 2015 04:25
ILikeCommas

Hey, great idea, and wonderful execution. Love it (especially the name generator!), but I've hit a snafu in adding a conditional append to a macro.

For example, [d20 1-10=cancel 16-20=x+1d6] [1d6] works just fine, cancelling the roll on 10 or lower, rolling 1d6 on 11-15 and rolling 2d6 on a 16-20 (and perfectly calculating Iaijutsu Focus damage with the skill rolled at a -1 modifier).

There doesn't seem to be any way to translate this to a macro, however. I can remove the brackets and put a semicolon in before the 1d6 (/macro def focus d20 1-10=cancel 16-20=x+1d6; 1d6) and it works fine for 1-10 and 11-15. That 16-20 "+1d6" never shows up, though.

Even if I remove the cancel and just leave in the conditional append, it never rolls higher than 6. Doesn't indicate it's rolling an additional d6 when you hover over the value, either. Not sure what the problem is, but it's the only one I've run into so far, everything else is great.

Nice work!
ILC | reply

18. Jan 2016 04:52
Udo

ILikeCommas, true, that doesn't work. Until I actually implement a scripting language for these things, that's probably the limit right there. | reply

25. Dec 2015 22:57
Annastassiya

Hello, and merry Christmas!

I haven't had the chance to use this site for much, yet, but I hope to do so a lot in the new year, and so I would like to ask a simple request - any chance we can have [i][/i] (italicized) tags in the forum / wiki pages? - I know we can quote things with " ", but this is just not as great as using the proper quotation marks, “ ”, which always end up looking superbly spiffy!

I hope this post won't be lost in a sea of other great questions!

Merry Christmas again, and happy new year!
- A very pleased visitor! | reply

18. Jan 2016 04:54
Udo

Annastassiya, sorry for getting back to you so late. I like the italics suggestion you made, but I won't be replacing quotation marks with prettier ones. If you really care about them, you're going to have to paste them in by hand. | reply

18. Dec 2015 13:14
Pol Stafford

This is an amazing product. And it's great looking!

I am looking forward to using Rolz in an Exalted game.
I'm trying not to be dumb, but there doesn't seem to be a way to count the max roll as 2 successes - only to reroll it.
What I figured was I'd just do #repeat 10 1d10 and count the successes (>7) manually.

My question: What would the code be to:
- roll (say) 7 d10
- count >=7 as a success
- count 10 as 2 successes
- and maybe show the dice (or have a little expandable code so I can see the dice if I wanna)

My ask: if there isn't a way of counting successes the Exalted way, could there be? My group would be willing to kick in a few bucks for it!

Thanks again for this awesome product. | reply

18. Jan 2016 04:58
Udo

Pol Stafford, showing the dice is easy, just hover your mouse over the info symbol or check "auto-expand dice results" in your settings. Counting 10 as two successes isn't an option right now, but I can add a code for that. | reply

15. Dec 2015 13:21
Orphen

HI! So... me and some friends have been experiencing a problem. It seems we can't any longer connect to any room. Are the servers down or something? We can't even connect to the lobby room haha

Thanks in advance! | reply

15. Dec 2015 13:27

https://rolz.org/tavern/thread?id=3799&page=last#btm | reply

14. Dec 2015 19:46
ceekay

Is there a way to take ownership of a room? Got a name I like and the created by is a blank and I can't find anything in logs- guessing was created and never used? | reply

18. Jan 2016 05:01
Udo

ceekay, there is a bug regarding room ownership. The person opening the room first should be the owner automatically, but it doesn't seem to work right now. Let me know which room you're in and I'll take care of it manually. | reply

13. Dec 2015 09:03
LordWolfy

Is there a way to reset my password? I set it and now have forgotten it.. :( | reply

18. Jan 2016 05:03
Udo

LordWolfy, sorry it took so long to get back to you. Are you still having trouble signing in? | reply

12. Dec 2015 19:12
Neto

There is some official Android app to Rolz.org ?

I tried find some Android app to Rolz.org, but not found. | reply

18. Jan 2016 05:04
Udo

Neto, it existed at some point, but there was little interest in it, so I stopped updating the Android and iOS apps. | reply

08. Dec 2015 09:00
MilesPrower

Hi!
I'd like to use a dice room for play by post but the scroll-back is quite short. Is there a way to see more posts? I think I'd have to use a forum, but there's no API for forum entries as far as I know. I wrote a program that can poll a dice room to find who's next up - I'd like to get this to automatically email the next person who's turn it is. This could possibly make games flow a bit faster.

Thanks for the hard work! If I can figure out a way, I'd like to DM a game on here. | reply

09. Dec 2015 04:14
MilesPrower

Aha I found a way, there is a Log link which shows the older posts. This at least would allow players to see what has happened since they last were online. Still, I guess dice rooms are more suited to concurrent sessions than play by post. | reply

30. Nov 2015 13:57
Mark Collins

what is the syntax for /room options? I can't seem to find a help file. I have multiple users, but I'd like to have multiple users as admin for a room is there a way to do that? | reply